Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

• Hey, Guest! May Madness: Forum Fiesta Contest has begun! Please remember posts should create discussion or add to the discussion, any spam-like posts and threads will not be counted! Good luck >>>>Read more about this contest here!

Debate Let’s assume for a moment that God *DOES* exist.

Al

Enthusiast
Reaction score

(Disclaimer: this is something I wrote a decade or more ago, since sanitised and rendered suitable for a PG-13 audience.)

IMG_3195.jpegWe have all seen the arguments time and time again for and against the existence of God. Personally, I have seen enough evidence in my time to prove that God not only doesn’t exist but is an impossible paradox. However, some Christians won’t accept science as proof and instead believe that their faith is enough proof that God exists. I mean, if I believe it to be true, how can it not be? Anyway, I’m going to ask that for the sake of this debate we all assume that there really is a God – more specifically, THE God of the Christian Faith. I shall not now attempt to prove that God does not exist but rather that if he does he is unworthy of your praise and worship. So, without further ado, we present the Four Arguments against the Good of God.

1) He sent his son to his death.

In many societies, the actions taken by God in relation to the death of one J. Christ would be considered murder. We must consider that God, being the all-mighty omnipotent being that he is, sent his Son to earth in full knowledge that he would be killed. Some call this sacrifice. I prefer to call it cruelty. Why would a father be so callous as to send his own and only son to a certain painful death? It isn’t big and it isn’t clever. It’s just base inhuman cruelty. I ask, is this a being worthy of praise? One who would leave his own child at the mercy of other men? One who would send his own child to death?

2) Noah and The Flood.

Almost completely, the human race vilifies Hitler as a mass murderer and practitioner of genocide for the Holocaust which claimed the lives of 6 million Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, and other undesirables.

The Christian faith worships God for the complete global annihilation of the human race and animal kingdom in the story of Noah and The Flood. We’re talking all creatures great and small, the young, the old, the frail, the mentally infirm. Babies in the womb who had no chance of life and were therefore free from sin were killed when their Mother’s were drowned by God’s flood. Entire families, communities, towns, villages, quashed without mercy.

Should we glory in the crimes of a mass murder? Should we worship this other practitioner of genocide?

3) They shall not covet thy neighbours ass.

One of the ten Commandments tells us not to be envious of the possessions of others. It tells us that it is wrong to want what others have and even worse to try and take from them what is rightfully theirs. This is a clear case of ‘do as I say but not as I do’ and I often wonder why the Christian faith has ignored the hypocrisy for so long.

Another of the Commandments tells people that they should not worship any other God. This is God coveting the worshippers of others. This is like him saying to Buddha or Krishna or Allah, ‘I want your ass, gimme your ass’. How can he expect his children to obey his rules when he does not follow them himself? We can add hypocrisy to the list.

4) The Garden of Eden and the Tree.

If you have kids you know that when you say to them, ‘don’t touch that’, the one thing they want to do above all others is touch that which you told them not to touch. With Adam and Eve, God told them ‘do not touch the tree’ and what happened? Eve ate from the forbidden fruit and the rest is history. Does anyone not think this is incredibly stupid? What did he expect to happen when he told naturally inquisitive children that they are not to do something. It’s blatant stupidity; made even worse when his innate omnipotence is considered. He knew they would break the rule but, rather than removing temptation and preventing it from happening, he let it go ahead. Shocking stupidity.

Another way of looking at it is like this: Fire guards. If you have a child and an open hearth or gas/electric heater/fire, the chances are you will have a fire guard in place to prevent your children from being harmed if the temptation to get too close to it occurs. Eve was tempted but someone forgot to put the guard up. Asking for trouble.

In conclusion, we have four reasons listed above which show that even if God does exist, he is a being unworthy of worship or praise. In fact, he is worthy of little more than ridicule and contempt. We have the following:

1. Murder of his own child
2. Global genocide
3. Hypocrisy and envy
4. Blatant stupidity

Is this someone worthy of being glorified? No, not really.

I don't think hell is eternal but rather a purgatory. In that case, I have less sympathy for bad humans. Anyway, we really don't know the whole story on stuff like the Cannanite genocide.

There is nothing to assume. If world is at the mercy of world leaders we know, we would have been doomed by now. Trump, Putin, Xi, are saintly souls.

I respect all opinions but as an atheist it all seems like people talking about fairy tales. The ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Vikings etc. used to discuss their Gods and Goddesses too. We came from stardust and we become stardust when we expire....nothing more. But people can go on killing each other over their beliefs if it pleases them....and they will.

I understand. Perhaps you never got a chance to understand religion outside of godmen. I too hate people when they choose to shed blood in the name of something they do not understand. But I have seen local Messi and Ronaldo fans do worse. Some people need reason to hurt people and glorify it. The use god and stars as a mask.

Well does who believe in God choose to, and none of them where forced. If we believe in God, and our beliefs is working for us, then why not? The same God you talked about also said his ways are not our ways. So how we reason and comprehend things is totally different from how he does.

Some Bible scholars believe the Canaanites were not real humans. This would be something we cannot imagine today. As for the flood, it was probably the same thing going on, as the whole fallen angels mating with humans was discussed in Genesis before the start of the flood.

Featured Articles

Back