Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

• Hey, Guest! May Madness: Forum Fiesta Contest has begun! Please remember posts should create discussion or add to the discussion, any spam-like posts and threads will not be counted! Good luck >>>>Read more about this contest here!

Promotion/Relegation

Mike

Off The Mark
Reaction score

Promotion/relegation is a concept in which the bottoms teams in a division are relegated to a lower division and the top teams from the lower division are promoted to a higher division at the end of the season. US sports mostly do not have a promotion/relegation structure but other countries across the world do. What are your thoughts on a promotion/relegation structure in sports? Is it fair or unfair?

In my opinion, promotion/relegation is a vital part of league sports. It's ludicrous that American sports do not have promotion/relegation. Doesn't it get boring seeing the same teams in the division every year? Do American sports even have lower divisions and are those teams just stuck in the lower divisions forever?

Yeah, I think it's very important.

Teams that excel in the lower leagues deserve the chance for promotion - and promotion isn't workable unless we also have relegation.

In my opinion, promotion/relegation is a vital part of league sports. It's ludicrous that American sports do not have promotion/relegation. Doesn't it get boring seeing the same teams in the division every year? Do American sports even have lower divisions and are those teams just stuck in the lower divisions forever?
The problem is that not everyone has enough money to participate let's say in the NBA tournament, you have to have an arena that can hold up at least for 50,000 people, salary (most stars earn in millions of $).. most american sports are for the show too, imagine a world where the new york yankees disappear.. or the boston celtics! i don't think so!

The problem is that not everyone has enough money to participate let's say in the NBA tournament, you have to have an arena that can hold up at least for 50,000 people, salary (most stars earn in millions of $).. most american sports are for the show too, imagine a world where the new york yankees disappear.. or the boston celtics! i don't think so!
Luton Town in the English Premier League have a significantly smaller stadium and lower wage budget than everyone else in the league, yet they’re managing fine, and the English Premier League is still the most watched sports league in the world. They earned their promotion to the top division, would you deny them that just because they have a smaller stadium? Seems to be an elitist mentality. Besides, relegation rarely affects the biggest clubs. They’re bigger, richer and have better players. The promotion/relegation structure is an opportunity for smaller, more deserving clubs to replace the less deserving clubs in the top division.

Luton Town in the English Premier League have a significantly smaller stadium and lower wage budget than everyone else in the league, yet they’re managing fine, and the English Premier League is still the most watched sports league in the world. They earned their promotion to the top division, would you deny them that just because they have a smaller stadium? Seems to be an elitist mentality. Besides, relegation rarely affects the biggest clubs. They’re bigger, richer and have better players. The promotion/relegation structure is an opportunity for smaller, more deserving clubs to replace the less deserving clubs in the top division.
I was specifically talking about the NBA where relegation doesn't exist. Let's say, for example, when Michael Jordan bought the Charlotte Hornets or The Seattle Supersonics was sold to the Oklahoma City Thunder, that movement alone was around $500,000,000.

Yes, I think it's right to have promotion and relegation in leagues. Since there are so many divisions clubs play in, teams should be rewarded with promotion when they work hard for it.

If there's nothing like promotion and relegation in leagues, there will not be anything like the league titles to play for. It's a necessary motivation for teams to play well as each spot in the league pays different amount to the team.

Promotion and relegation systems add an extra layer of drama and consequence that I really enjoy as a sports fan. The threat of being demoted for underperformance raises the stakes considerably. At the same time, lower level teams have something tangible to play for in pursuit of promotion. While it can be harsh seeing storied franchises get relegated, I think it generally promotes competitive balance and makes leagues more meritocratic overall. The relegation dog-fights and promotion playoffs create many memorable moments. While not perfect, I'm a fan of pro/rel structures when implemented properly.

Last week it was confirmed that Sheffield united, a premier league club, has been relegated to the championship. It can be saddening for the team and the players, they gave their all. But it was evident that their all was not enough, so they had to say goodbye. Funny thing is that they will still come back after next season. 😃

It is like all the three teams that were promoted to the premier league have all been relegated. I think teams that have gain promotion to the premier league should reinforce and battle to survive in the EPL.

It is like all the three teams that were promoted to the premier league have all been relegated. I think teams that have gain promotion to the premier league should reinforce and battle to survive in the EPL.
I believe that this just shows the kind of gap that exists between the championship and the premier League. Those clubs who ended up being champions in the second division will come to the main division and be getting roasted by all clubs left and right.

The Luton Town that you mentioned may end up getting relegated again and that is one thing that supports the motion that there is need to spend money, if one wants to stay competitive in a league.

The Luton Town that you mentioned may end up getting relegated again and that is one thing that supports the motion that there is need to spend money, if one wants to stay competitive in a league.
Very true, with a low budget there's only so much a club can achieve, especially in a competitive league like the premier League. That is basically the thing that is making Man City the champions almost every seasons now. They are ready to spend money, and they're getting rewarded for that.

Featured Articles

Back